The 60th Reunion for Ursuline Academy Class of 1956 took place on Saturday, October 15, 2016 at Brescia Hall on the Ursuline Campus. This special anniversary was organized by a dedicated committee including: Joan Echsner, Betty Niemann Harrison and Sister Jo Ann Jansing. Twenty UA graduates attended and while most live in Kentucky, two traveled from Ohio and Georgia.
A prayer service of reflections and responses began the program followed by lunch and memory sharing. Alums enjoyed scanning through memorabilia and archival photos on display, and then everyone got down to business sharing stories of school days as students at the Academy. A tape was found in the Ursuline archives of their music teacher Sister Bernadine Schene playing the school song on the piano, which led to a rousing sing-a-long of UA’s alma mater. Talk about Deja Vu!
Here are a few of the events, inventions, trends and fun facts from the Class of 1956 that got the conversation rolling:
• School Colors: Blue & White
• Venue for our Prom: K of C Hall
• Orchestra that played at our prom: Art Glaser
• Commencement Speaker: Rev. Joseph Allgeier
• What does CSMC Stand for? Catholic Student Mission Crusade
• Who had most #1 musical hits? Elvis Presley
• What epic film premiered? "The Ten Commandments"
• Popular song "This Land is Your Land" came out - who wrote it? Woody Guthrie
• Average cost of a new car was $2,050. Today it is $33,500
• Average cost of a new house was $11,700. Today it is $188,000
• Average Yearly Wage was $4,450.00
• Cost of a Gallon of Gas was 22 cents
• Cost of a First Class Stamp was 3 cents
• President was Dwight D. Eisenhower and his Vice President was Richard M. Nixon
• First Black & White TV hits the Market
• IBM released the first computer with a hard drive. It weighed about one ton and measured about 16 square feet and stored about 5 megabytes of data.
• Famous couple that wed: Prince Rainier of Monaco & Grace Kelly
• Kentucky Derby Winner: Needles
• Name of a popular Quiz Show: $64,000 Question
• Movie had first airing on TV: The Wizard of Oz
• Famous advertising quote: "Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking" - Timex watches; "Away go troubles Down the Drain" - Roto-Rooter.
Other memories included a discussion around the Student Handbook
which set rules such as:
"A fine of 10 cents is necessary to replace that lost statement."
"Rise when a member of the faculty enters or leaves the room. Rise when your teacher speaks to you personally."
"Every third mark of tardiness against you will necessitate your remaining after school for one hour."
"Silence will be observed in the class rooms, halls, and lavatories before school and between classes.”
"Your home room teacher is your best friend and advisor. She can help you untangle all your knotty problems."
To see photos from the reunion, click here.